Tuesday, March 4, 2014

save with jamie - sunday roast brisket

Charting into very foreign cooking territory here... It's almost funny to imagine I've only cooked one oven roast in my life. But those humble Sunday roasts are the sort of dinners we frequently have at our parents homes for family gatherings and aren't the sort of dinners we consider on a weeknight. However, being home during the week is kinda like a permanent weekend right now so it wasn't too much trouble to try Jamie Oliver's Sunday Roast Brisket. Strange thing is briskets aren't the usual cuts of beef we can find easily around here.  Roast beef is plentiful, so I opted to use one oven roast and one standing short rib roast in this meal hoping to yield enough leftover meat to make many more beefy recipes from Save with Jamie for the week.  

The roasts were to cook for 6 to 8 hours and I only wish I'd used my probe thermometer earlier to check because after merely 6 hours they were done. For my tastes, overdone! The potatoes and carrots needed a higher heat then Jamie indicated and longer time as well (even after par-boiling). The Yorkshire puddings were alright, maybe this is the sort of item that might be a treat if you grew up enjoying them. But to me they were a little rubbery and I was expecting them to be a little more melt-in-your-mouth. Then the gravy; our roasts seemed to provide lots of moisture and drippings (even though neither had much fat), so it made a ton of gravy. I had to tinker quite a bit to get the seasoning right, but I was pretty happy with the end result. 

So this was my first time making Yorkshire pudding & gravy and I was pleased with the results overall. But considering the time, effort and payoff I won't be too eager to make this again.

No comments: