Tuesday, June 8, 2010

strawberries with mint whipped cream

Katie, Owen and I were crusin' around Niagara-On-The-Lake yesterday afternoon when we decided to stop into Harvest Barn. A brand new batch of strawberries were being stocked just as we walked in, so I picked up a basket. I also grabbed a huge amount of fresh mint and rhubarb. After dinner I assembled Strawberries with Mint Whipped Cream.
This recipe has only a handful of fresh ingredients and I assumed I could haul butt and get it done in time to eat strawberries and whipped cream and watch the Bachelorette (I know, but come on - it's a Monday night). Once I got started I realized it was a little more involved than I originally anticipated. You actually have to make a mint infused simple syrup that involves boiling and then cooling. So that made this recipe a bit more time consuming. Another reason this took so long is because I basically doubled the recipe by making a second sugar free batch (substituting sugar for honey) because my hard working husband deserved a chance to enjoy this dessert.

But oh so worth it. This has an incredible flavour, it really couldn't be more perfect for this time of year. All is right with the world when you wait all year for the moment you enjoy a freshly picked strawberry.

No comments: