Sunday, August 29, 2010

couscous with carrot and cilantro and green beans and tomato

I think we've completed every possible barbecue recipe in Everyday Food. There is still a whole container left over of the wonderful barbecue sauce from the pork back ribs. So I pulled a flank steak out of the freezer and made a quick marinade using some of the same ingredients found the the bbq sauce. I eyeballed apple cider vinegar, 2 smashed garlic cloves, dry mustard, chili flakes, salt & pepper and let it defrost in the marinade. The flank steak was then barbecued with the bbq sauce. Super good.

I was really after knocking off a couple Everyday Food side dishes. I thought I'd give that failed Couscous with Carrot and Cilantro side another try. I had no idea that it would take 10 minutes from start to finish. This is one of the most rewarding sides because of how speedy, inexpensive and totally addicting it is.

The Green Beans and Tomato are also just as great. The onion, tomatoes and green beans are from Tina's farm stand. Beyond that there is just the addition of oregano. It's so simple but so delicious. It has a ratatouille sort of flavour. Green beans are the best side for a nice piece of red meat. I would pass on a potato any day for this side with a steak!

Owen had a steamed portion of the flank steak which had not been marinated. Because this is a cheaper cut of beef I feel as though it must always be marinated to be tender so it's not the meat best suited for babies because it doesn't seem to break down very well. He had his steak processed with green beans but it took a while to find the right consistency for him. Owen really enjoyed the couscous with carrot and cilantro which he could eat as-is.

I can't believe that we ended up with two sides that were equally impressive in the same meal. We enjoyed them so much they are sure to be a staple for us from here on out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you get your flank steak? Harold's aunt in Chicago makes amazing flank steak every time we're in and I don't see it here. Is it called something different? I must admit since we don't eat much beef, I'm a rookie with the different cuts.
Maryanne

Erin said...

You can get it at Costco. Most places (including butchers) here in Niagara sell it frozen, but Costco is always sold fresh!
It seems to be more popular in the states (along with skirt steak), but it would be great if it became more widely available in Canada.