Monday, June 28, 2010

mushroom and scallion frittata and strawberry slush

Sunday morning Nuno and I made the Mushroom & Scallion Frittata for breakfast. This was nothing short of spectacular. I've always wanted to make a frittata that finishes in the oven, and it's a great technique to get that crispy brown top. The eggs and scallions were from the St. Catharines farmer's market and tasted very fresh. I'd almost compare it to a crust-less quiche. I don't enjoy quiche because the pastry gets soggy, so this frittata is really everything I ever wanted out of a quiche.

Then for dinner I made Strawberry Slush, which is basically a way more delicious strawberry daiquiri. Yes, the onslaught of fresh strawberries never ends. Nuno picked up two pints of fresh berries from a farm stand close to his work on Friday. This was a great way to use up the just past ripe and not so picture perfect berries.

Speaking of ripe berries, Nuno discovered a trick to keeping them fresh. If you can't manage to use up the berries the day you purchase them, store them in jars and keep them in the fridge. I know this goes beyond most common fresh produce storing reason, but somehow it works and it has really helped us get the most of our berries this year.

No comments: