Tuesday, July 27, 2010

portobello burgers with bell pepper and goat cheese and napa cabbage salad with apples and caraway seeds

Last night I made Roasted Portobello Burgers with Bell Pepper and Goat Cheese with a side of Napa Cabbage with Apples and Caraway.

I know 'sliders' refer to mini-burgers, but I feel as though this portobello mushroom burger is a more accurate description of a 'slider'. Everything inside slips right out! With every bite, the two portobello mushroom caps slid and the roasted red pepper joined right in. Luckily, it was just Owen and I eating together, so as sloppy as it got I felt no shame. I wrapped my hands around the bun and held the entire thing firmly in place. I'm thinking there has to be a better way. Just one giant mushroom cap and a layer of goat cheese to act as glue between the mushroom and pepper? I don't know, but I do know that I'll make this again. The flavour was great and as I get older, I find myself passing up opportunities to eat beef burgers.

The napa cabbage salad was good. It tastes healthy in a way that might turn off people if you, say, brought this to a picnic. This one I may not make again even though it wasn't bad.

No comments: