Friday, July 8, 2011

chili-rubbed pork tenderloin, black eyed pea salad, cubano quesadilla

We were sent home from my in-laws this past weekend with pork tenderloin. It worked perfectly because I had been wanting to make these two recipes from Great Food Fast for a while now.

Both loins were coated in the chili rub from this Chili-Rubbed Pork recipe then barbequed. That morning we had made a side of Black Eyed Pea Salad. I like salads like these to sit for half a day and it work out very well with this one. This dinner tasted summery but wasn't anything I'll make again. I'm not sure if it's because I've been eating so much bbq'd marbled meat lately that a pork tenderloin on the bbq tastes a little dry.

With the leftover pork I was estatic to make the Pork Quesadilla. Or as it should be refered to as CUBANO QUESADILLA! Why didn't I think of this sooner? Cubanos don't always have to be in sandwich form. This is heartier than a typical quesadilla but was the best one I've ever had.
Along with thinly sliced pork tenderloin this recipe calls for all the usual suspects including deli ham, swiss cheese, pickles and mustard. But there was also the addition of grilled red onion which was an amazing added touch. These quesadillas were heated on the bbq which gave them a nice toasty flavour. I had my quesadilla with sour cream and I know it sounds a little odd with the above ingredients, it was really tasty that way. 

The only drawback of this dinner is that these flavours aren't to the palate of a 20 month old. Owen hasn't really ever found a way of eating through a flour tortilla yet. So scrambled eggs and an english muffin for him and he was fit to be tied.

No comments: