Sunday, September 12, 2010

steamed cod with ginger and scallions, shaved carrot salad with scallions and sesame seeds and heirloom tomato salad

Friday morning I picked up some heirloom tomatoes at Whitty Farms hoping to make a simple salad similar to this one I blogged about a couple weeks ago. Every time we visit El Gastronomo Vagabundo they offer beautiful heirloom tomato salads which really are my favourite part of their menus. What are the chances that only hours after buying my heirloom assortment I stumble upon some of El Gastro's recipes online? So I decided to make their Heirloom Tomato Salad found here.

Beautiful isn't it?! Tastes fantastic but nothing as great as the real thing at the El Gastronomo Vagabundo cart. I could live on these salads, I'm thinking my personal challenge next year should be to start an heirloom tomato garden. Too bad I absolutely no facility for outdoor gardening.

This salad filled out the rest of our Everyday Food dinner
of Steamed Cod with Ginger and Scallions and Shaved Carrot Salad with Scallions and Sesame Seeds.

The Shaved Carrot Salad was quite good, but you really feel as though your eating 'healthy' while eating it. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your mood. I say Friday night isn't the night to enjoy light food.

Then there was the cod. I was willing to give this one a fair shot and expected something great like the Red Snapper recipe from last week. Boy, was I wrong. This was bacala-yuck!!! I think if I ever feel the need to interject cod fish into my life in the future I'll be making either Nuno's mom's or El Gastro's Codfish Croquettes (recipe for the later can also be found here).

No comments: