Thursday, September 2, 2010

orange-dijon bbq shrimp, zucchini and red onion salad and sesame-lime rice

Here is last night's Orange-Dijon BBQ Shrimp, Zucchini and Red Onion Salad and Sesame-Lime Rice.

This is your average fresh and healthy mid-week dinner. The Orange-Dijon Shrimp is from Everyday Food magazine June issue and is hardly a 'recipe' just a simple glaze of orange marmalade and dijon. The Zucchini and Red Onion Salad was nice although every time I use the mandolin slicer I manage to nick my thumb. But it's worth the effort because this is my favourite way of eating raw zucchini. The Sesame-Lime Rice is a different and nice way to enjoy rice as a side, although the Cilantro-Lime Rice we had for Cinco De Mayo was a better flavoured rice. The recipe called for two tablespoons of sesame seeds, which in proportion to a cup of rice is a lot. So it seemed to overwhelm the rice quite a bit to the point that it made it very rich and almost peanut butter-y in flavour.



Speaking of peanut butter, I just tried Kraft's new Whipped Peanut Butter this week. Never said I'm above marketing gimmicks. I'm trying to decide if Kraft has found a way of selling less product with this, but I really like the lightness and consistency. It's quite a bit more spreadable which works well for snacks like eating on rice cakes.
I found these Suzie's brand puffed cakes at Bulk Barn and I think they are great! They are sweetened with agave nectar and I give them to Owen as snacks (without peanut butter, for now). So far I've tried Kamut and Spelt and they are both great for everyone, including babies. If you couldn't tell, I'm not much into buying 'baby' food for Owen. There is only one product I buy that is specifically made for babies, Heinz Nutrios cereal. I'll have to devote a blog entry to feeding Owen soon because I have so many people asking me about it.

No comments: