Wednesday, August 11, 2010

rib-eye with garlic-thyme marinade, green beans and almonds, beefsteak tomato salad

This may be the ultimate died and gone to heaven dinner. Delicious, super easy and fast to make.

Rib-eye with Garlic-Thyme Marinade, Green Beans and Almonds and Beefsteak Tomato Salad. Hands down, best steak I've ever eaten outside of a restaurant!

I've been dying to blog about Lococo's Market for some time now. I don't get there very often because it's in Niagara Falls, but if it's up to me to buy choice cuts of meat, well, this is my first choice. Lococo's has been around for a very long time and is a staple of Niagara's markets. It's located on Victoria Ave and Bridge St. They carry very few boxed and pantry goods. What you'll find there is farm-fresh produce and butcher quality meats in a cold room style shopping environment. I can't walk past their selection of steaks without having every urge and temptation to pick up their priciest steaks.

Yes, they aren't cheap, but so, so worth it! Keep in mind these three steaks fed Nuno and myself for two dinners as well as Owen's 2 baby portions. This is some high quality meat! Nuno grilled these on the BBQ for no more than 6 minutes. The fat rendered huge flames that cooked the outside quickly and kept the inside medium-rare (how we both like it).

Owen comes by the meat eating honestly. Yep, baby got rib eye steak too, only his was steamed. This time around he had a seasoned portion of meat (garlic, olive oil and thyme) and a seasoned portion of green beans pureed. And in true Owen eating fashion, he chowed down and loved it!


I can't let all this meat talk deter from the tomatoes. Of all seasonal produce, tomatoes in August are my absolute favourite. Since college, I spend all of August and September eating toasted tomato sandwiches for lunch. I keep a toaster at the office just for tomato season. My favourite way to enjoy tomatoes is with salt and pepper. Sometimes I'll switch it up with a little olive oil, fresh mozzarella and basil. But this recipe is killer as well and will be another option for my late summer tomato indulgences.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a Lococo's in Hamilton and I've never been there!! Thanks for the review!
Maryanne