Wednesday, June 9, 2010

lamb chops with pistachio sauce and curried rice salad

Here is last night's Lamb Chops with Pistachio Sauce and Curried Rice Salad. I paired these two dishes because the curried rice called for mint (which I'm currently in excess of) and mint and lamb are a classic pairing. Another pairing I enjoyed was a glass of Inniskillin Pinot Noir with the lamb. It added quite a nice touch to this dinner despite it being a disappointment on every level.

To start, lamb chops are one of the most pricey cuts of meat I've ever purchased. They are so not worth it! I'll probably stick to ordering lamb at restaurants from now on because this recipe was followed to a T (it was still quite rare inside but somehow dry at the same time). It did not do justice to what I always imagined lamb should be. I only ate a couple bites of the lamb but Nuno mentioned he found it tasted like goat. The pistachio sauce definitely helped make the lamb more palatable. The tomato and artichoke sautee was alright. I find grape/cherry tomatoes to be very tart and sometimes seasoning just can't seem to cut the strong acidity. As for the curried rice salad, it was just OK. I found the mint flavour totally overwhelming. I never eat grapes, but that touch was the best part of this salad. If I ever make it again I'll be adjusting the ingredients to taste.

No comments: