Monday, October 17, 2011

seasonal salads

Here are a couple salads that I consider to be best eaten seasonally. First is a Cantaloupe and Bocconcini Salad with Mint from Great Food Fast that I made not too long ago.
It's so fresh, bright and delicious it tastes just like summer. It's like an entire meal of those little hors d'oeuvres of prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe. This is my favourite salad to eat in warm weather.

Then there is this Arugula, Beet and Goat Cheese Salad from Great Food Fast that we had tonight which is the perfect salad for cooler temperatures.
It's quite similar to the Orange, Beet and Arugula Salad from Fresh Flavour Fast but I almost like this one better. It's the same orange/beet flavour combination, but the goat cheese and walnuts make it eat like a dinner. I also did something that I never thought I'd do, I bought canned beets. Hey, the recipe said to use them (in fact, I just recently learned they even sold them canned!). And after tasting them I'm not sure I'll ever go to the trouble of roasting or boiling beets again. All the work is done for you and there isn't any difference in taste. So delicious!

No comments: