Thursday, December 2, 2010

flourless chocolate cake

I don't think anyone could have prepared me for the delicious decadence of this Flourless Chocolate Cake. The photo printed in the book gave me the impression I'd be baking a pavlova or a crunchy crispy meringue type cake. But this cake really turned out to be more like a torte. Think of the most delicious chocolate mousse you've ever eaten - only richer! I used Ghirardelli bittersweet bakers chocolate for this. I buy bags of them in the US because I've never seem them sold in Canada. I just love baking with these chips, they have a wonderful flavour.
While on vacation in Florida Nuno and I went out for a nice prix fixe menu where the dessert was a flourless chocolate cake infused with orange flavour. Now that I know how to bake this simple cake I'm totally on board with playing it up a little with orange zest and Grand Marnier or Framboise.

No comments: