Friday, March 5, 2010

shrimp and snap pea salad with ginger dressing

Last night we had Shrimp and Snap Pea Salad with Ginger Dressing. I started prepping this recipe at 2pm because salads take a very long time to prep, which may be why I don't eat them as often as I should. This recipe was probably the most monotonous recipe I've made in a long time. I had an assembly line of trimming and pulling the ribs off of 50 sugar snap peas & peeling and deveining shrimp. Not to mention the not quite as labour intensive, but still no fun task of washing and chopping all the produce. I did all of this with Owen in the Baby Bjorn, just to see how it would go. It went very well although I hope I'm not considered too haphazardly of a mom for using a huge knife with a baby against me. I do have limits though, the only things I could not complete with Owen was juicing a couple limes and blitzing the blender.

So, some comments about this recipe. I like that it calls for Boston lettuce, it's probably my favourite salad leaf. It has a beautiful texture and I think it tastes better than any other leaf. One slight revision I made to the recipe (and I'm so glad I did) was to add a second head of lettuce. This made for way more salad (stretch this one out for another meal) and this truly would have been a garnish heavy salad if I hadn't. Another note is how much I enjoyed the sugar snap peas. I've actually never had sugar snap peas before because I'll usually choose snow peas. Well, I'll totally be making the switch to sugar snaps now. They were probably my favourite part of the salad.

If I made this again I'd add avocado. After this experience I'll probably look at some of the recipes in this book and ask myself, "Would avocado go nicely in this?" because I can't get enough avocado in my life. Shrimp and avocado are one of my favourite combinations!

So the consensus on this recipe is it is fresh, delicious and a total 'make again'! It was well worth the time and effort because this is the sort of food that makes you feel really good to eat.

No comments: