Wednesday, August 18, 2010

spinach, pear and blue-cheese salad and watermelon and feta salad

I have neighbours who always call this time of year because their Bartlett pear tree yields more fruit than they know what to do with. We are always so glad to accept a bag full and it's not difficult to get through. Pears are actually one of the best baby foods to work with. I'm always steaming peeled, cored and chopped pears and then pureeing. I've used them with just about any of Owen's favourites because they go well with sweet and savory. Luckily beyond baby food we were able to work them into our dinners as well.

I recently made the Spinach, Pear and Blue-Cheese Salad from Everyday Food. I mentioned before, I love blue cheese in salads, and this was no exception. Delicious!

The other salad we ate which wasn't quite as great as the previous, but still holds its own is this Watermelon and Feta Salad. Watermelon and feta is a combination that puzzles most but has become a very popular option in the past few years. I think I saw Nigella first introduce the idea and up until this salad had still not tried it. So there wasn't any leg twisting when it came to making this. It's nice, perfectly summery and refreshing. I guess I expected a bit more of a 'wow' factor. I almost doubt I'll make it again.

No comments: