Saturday, April 9, 2011

chicken with cornmeal dumplings

Chicken and Dumplings is not a Canadian meal. When I say that, almost everyone I know hasn't grown up eating it... or even tried it for that matter! Since discovering it, I stand behind it as something I think we will always go to as a dinner option. This is probably because I don't make meat pies and I don't like stew, so chicken and dumplings is the closest I get to those classics. It's rich and hearty, but the dumplings are light and airy, giving a really nice contrast in texture without getting soggy (like meat pie crusts). I just love it as does the rest of the family!
The most recent issue of Everyday Food had a Chicken & Cornmeal Dumplings recipe that is even more southern inspired than the original. Chicken thighs, Cajun trinity vegetable mix (excluding onion and including carrot), beer and tomatoes make up the stew along with a quick cornbread dumpling at the last few minutes of cooking was really different and nice.

Delicious meal, but a very labour intensive amount of chopping. This recipe is probably a once a year type of dinner and I think I'll still go to the Everyday Food Fresh Flavour Fast Chicken & Dumpling recipe because it's simpler and might be even more delicious.

No comments: