Wednesday, February 29, 2012

swiss chard with toasted breadcrumbs

Rather than throw away the roasted vegetables from last night, I opted to make them into something actually edible. First I rinsed off all the crazy strong dry mustard seasoning and then make them into a frittata (using the Potato and Onion Frittata recipe from Great Food Fast). Yep, worked like a charm. Delicious, but would have been a lot better if I'd just eliminated the pears completely. Oh well, I don't think I'll be roasting sweet potatoes and pears together again. 
Seems like everyone is talking about kale these days, I haven't found a way to actually enjoy that particular leafy green. Instead, swiss chard does it for me. I made a side of Swiss Chard with Toasted Breadcrumbs from Great Food Fast as a side to the frittata. With this recipe I revised it quite a bit. I sauteed onions and garlic in olive oil and then cooked the chard. For the breadcrumbs I added a little parmesan for extra flavour. What works with this recipe is the contrast between the soft leaves and the crispy crunchy breading. Really nice!
Finally for dessert I whipped up some Roasted Fruit from Great Food Fast. In this combination I used nectarines and plums. The finished dessert is very 'adult' in taste. I think it's the rosemary that gives it a fragrance and bite that I knew Owen would reject. These two fruits aren't my personal favourites and I had hopes they'd improve roasting in sugar, unfortunately the nectarines are bland and the plums are too tart. Yeah, I just tossed it.

No comments: