Thursday, March 18, 2010

roast beef with peppers, onions and potatoes

We have our first failure from Everyday Food. Last night I made Roast Beef with Peppers, Onions and Potatoes.


All the ingredients are to roast in the oven for 40 -50 minutes. Now, after that time everything was cooked - but the potatoes were completely raw! Even though I cut the potatoes to 1 inch, no part of them was even slightly soft.


Admittedly, I've never cooked a roast beef before, but I knew going into this that when my parents make roast, the potatoes will usually stay in the oven for much longer as the roast rests. But who am I to question the book that has banged out consecutive successful recipe after successful recipe?

So we cut our losses and removed the potatoes to cook longer and ate the rest of dinner without them. Believe it or not, the potatoes weren't finished for another hour above the estimated cooking time!
It's really hard for me to choose to eat the red meat dishes in this book, but after this experience I might be even more likely to put them off.

No comments: