Saturday, February 11, 2012

baked shells with winter squash

I am so pumped up about this dinner of Baked Shells with Winter Squash. It is only cooking through Everyday Food Great Food Fast that I would have tried this. The title isn't appealing and I'm not so big on pasta these days. Not only that, I couldn't find frozen winter squash puree anywhere in Canada. I stopped looking and went to the US and found it easily at Wegmans. I'm sure Whole Foods in Canada would have it. If I stumble on it I'll blog about it because this is a MUST TRY!
The flavour isn't really squash-y at all. It's actually tastes more like caramelized onions and rosemary. The parmesan sets it all off and the squash adds body and richness. Then there is a really nice contrast between the baked shells and toasted baguette cubes that sets you to 'died and gone to heaven on a plate.'

Sigh, with each passing day I wish I was eating this instead - that's truly how outstanding it is. I'm going out for a Valentines dinner tonight, but with the snow on the ground I'm thinking I'd almost rather be eating this. It's so crazy food creative, if I was ever to highly recommend a recipe, this is the one.

No comments: