Friday, October 22, 2010

spaghetti puttanesca and apple crisp

This Spaghetti Puttanesca is a perfect pantry dish that tastes like restaurant dining. With black olives, capers and anchovies this is the perfect dinner if your craving salty bites. Nuno and I just loved it but this was not suited for babies. Owen had an alternate dinner of salmon and avocado but he was able to share in our dessert of fresh baked Apple Crisp.  


I couldn't let this apple season go by without making my most vivid childhood comfort food. Apple crisp is the dessert my mom made on Sundays in the winter. I'm not sure I've ever made one from scratch, but this recipe was quite easy. Peeling, coring and chopping the apples was the most time consuming part and it's not the sort of process you can do at a leisurely pace. Apples brown quickly, even with lemon juice, so I had to devote a non stop 20 minutes to the task. Now that Owen is reaching one year, he wasn't too happy about it, even with snacks on chunks of apple.

Things are really winding down with working through Everyday Food along with my maternity leave. A spot opened up at our first choice of day care. We are so insanely lucky to have actually scored this spot since there are only 6 infant spots, so we jumped right at the opportunity and will start bringing Owen next Monday. While he's having half days I think I'll try and tie up the cookbook and then it's back to work for me.

2 comments:

alicia said...

back to work? nooooo! might be time time for another baby...

Erin said...

haha, there's an idea! But wait, number two will have to wait till the next Everyday Food book is published ;)