Thursday, October 14, 2010

mushroom and parmesan risotto and sweet potato wedges

I think risotto is a great food for babies. I know Owen just loves it. I made the Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto from Everyday Food with a side of Sweet Potato Wedges.

I know, it's a little odd to have two starches in one meal. I didn't think mushrooms could be considered a healthy contribution to Owen's dinner so to boost it I made sweet potatoes. All three of us LOVE roasted sweet potatoes and these are absolute perfection. Just a sprinkling of dried thyme with s&p and olive oil. I can see us making this all winter.

As for the risotto, if I was asked to whip up a risotto off the top of my head it would probably be a clone of this one (although I might add fresh thyme). It was delicious! How could it not be? Well, if you don't prepare risotto properly you could have a gloopy mess or a chewy hard center to each grain of rice. But I think I'm well past those days along with the days of non-stop stirring. I found success with these two key points: move the rice when each addition of stock is added and taste-test as you go.

No comments: