Friday, June 25, 2010

prosciutto fig-jam sandwich

Here is last night's Prosciutto & Fig Jam Sandwich.

This is a quick and easy dinner. The only real work was making the fig jam from scratch, but that is almost laugh-able at how easy it was. It made an entire pint of jam and can be stored in the fridge for up to a month, so I'm pleased about that. It'll be great on crackers with a slice of asiago.

I decided to check out Portage Bakery in Niagara Falls yesterday on a whim. It is a very authentic Italian bakery where as a kid, my dad would often pick up their sliced white bread. This bread is delicious and quite renowned around Niagara. I've never had any bread like it since. I didn't end up buying a loaf because I try and steer clear of processed white bread, but I did end up buying the ingredients for the Prosciutto Fig-Jam Sandwich (the loaf, fresh sliced prosciutto and asiago cheese). Oh, and I indulged in a couple baked goods - a pear & ricotta dessert and a pizzelle. Best pizzelle I've ever had and the pear & ricotta square was also quite good because it wasn't doused in sugar - it was exactly what I was looking for.

It was here that I thought I might start blogging about shopping for food. There are many markets, farm stands, bakeries and wineries in Niagara that I'd like to keep track of. I kinda feel like Anna Olson in her show, Fresh with how I journey out for fresh ingredients to use in my home baking and cooking. I'm still fairly new at learning what is in season and when, so I'm looking forward to this summer of experimenting with local and seasonal food. And a little extra boost is to shop for organic produce for Owen. It should be a fun summer.

No comments: