Tuesday, August 3, 2010

millions of peaches

Yesterday morning I headed out to Werner Farmstand (Lakeshore Road in Port Weller) in search of peaches. A farmhand was actually unloading and sorting as I arrived and I asked for a basket of seconds. What I purchased is what I'd guess to be 8 pounds of peaches!

I always thought seconds were bruised and blemished fruit, but can you see anything the matter with these? I think the girl who gathered my load was extra generous. Now to figure out how to use them all up.

I started off by making this Peach Melba for dessert last night.

I just became aware of this old style dessert so I decided to look into it a bit more. I ended up taking elements from three different recipes for my dessert.

First off was making the Peach Frozen Yogurt from Anna Olson's Fresh. Turned out beautifully. Easy, delicious and I'd venture as far as to say healthy because I used two cups of 1% yogurt.

Secondly was the Raspberry Coulis I lifted from Nigella Lawson's
Peach Melba recipe.

Lastly, I took the assembly idea from Everyday Food's Grilled Peach Melba which seasons the peaches in butter and brown sugar and grills them on the BBQ.

I think I'll be making this dessert a yearly event because it's a great way to enjoy peaches. Word of warning, if you make this Peach Melba eat it fast - it's melty!!!

No comments: