Saturday, August 7, 2010

half way there

It's official. After Thursday night's three recipes in one meal I found myself having gone through exactly half the Everyday Food Fresh Flavor Fast book. That's 125 down and 125 to go!

I decided to take on this personal challenge as something for myself. When everything I had in me went to Owen and for the first time I was not working or in school, I struggled to find something to nurture myself. I considered taking cooking classes but then realized as a nursing mom I couldn't be available to leave for hours at a time. Not only that, the cost! After deciding to work through Everyday Food I realized this made way more sense. No charge other than what I'd buy in groceries. I see this sort of like taking a class because I'm learning so much but setting my own pace.

I originally started this as a way of trying new recipes while I had the time on my maternity and to keep a blog as notes on the recipe.
Blogging about this will come in handy then when I return to work. I can reflect on details about these recipes like how long it took to make, what I'd revise, and if we even enjoyed it. What I didn't realize about doing this was just how much this has benefited my family. On top of the learning experience, I'm making fresh, homemade & healthy food for Nuno and Owen and that's been the biggest benefit of this challenge.

I was just looking ahead to what's to come. I'm nervous about making a leg of lamb and venturing back into the disaster of lamb chops. I have to find tomatillos and serrano chillies somewhere. I'll be eating a chicken drumstick (haven't tried one in 15 years). I'll be trying flounder and red snapper for the first time. I have another kale recipe to contend with (and choke down). I get to make ice cream sandwiches! There are also two delicious chocolate cakes I look forward to baking. And I'm most excited to prepare a Chocolate & Peanut Butter Pie!

If you read my blog, thanks for joining me on this experience!

No comments: