Monday, September 13, 2010

blueberry-buttermilk pancakes

Last week I made a couple recipes that required a carton of buttermilk. If you keep up with my blog you'd know how much I hate seeing food go to waste so I've been attempting to use up what I can from this carton. Sunday morning I decided to try out this Blueberry-Buttermilk Pancake recipe from Everyday Food's October 2009 issue. This batter is extremely easy to work with and I decided to make many small baby cakes, most no bigger than a mason jar lid. The recipe is actually quite versatile because the name suggests blueberries are in the batter but you are actually instructed to add them after you form the cakes on your grill.

That left tons of room to play! I used up some of the blueberries we froze in July along with slices of banana and chocolate chips. Very customize-able and perfect for make-your-own-pancake parties. Plus this batter seemed to be very fool-proof and made beautiful cakes!

Now, since there was a relatively small amount of sugar in this recipe, I was comfortable having Owen eat pancakes with us. And he went nuts! As the pancake eating went down, the messier and blue-er Owen became.

He munched on without a care in the world and then enjoyed a leisurely Sunday morning soak in the bath followed by a morning nap. I don't think he could have had a better Sunday morning.

2 comments:

Mig said...

i love his little buckies.

Erin said...

haha! They are too funny and add a little extra personality to his smile.
I went from A to D on the disc and I'm loving the Deerhunter album now. I think I like it better than Atlas Sound. Thanks again!