Thursday, September 23, 2010

curried-zucchini soup

I feel as though I'm within a stones-throw from completing the Everyday Food Fresh Flavour Fast book. I gave myself a year to complete it, and it looks like I'll have it down in 8 months.

I recently decided to pull out the first Everyday Food book, Great Food Fast and give it a look through. There were quite a few recipes that caught my eye. One of which I decided to make last night, Curried-Zucchini Soup.

Zucchini seems to be the vegetable of choice from this book. I never thought I liked it much because my only experience with it before Everyday Food was one of those wonderful over-cooked vegetable medleys that crop up at holiday dinners. The boiled zucchini falls over limp and lifeless and tastes like a waterlogged slice of cardboard. Then, through Everyday Food, I discovered that raw and grilled, zucchini is an underrated vegetable. Although the zucchini is essentially boiled to create this soup, there is a great curry flavour infused. As the recipe indicated, I used 2 teaspoons of madras curry powder which gave Nuno the sweats, but was just the right amount of heat for me. Next time we make it I'll hold back on the spice.

No comments: