Saturday, July 10, 2010

family recipes

I'm back from a short trip to spend time with my family in Sarnia. I stayed with my grandparents and it was wonderful for them to enjoy their great grandson.

Owen was good as gold and his personality really came through. Turns out he's a real ham and loves to impress people. The only real issue we had was that he was uncomfortable sleeping in a playpen alone in the room upstairs. I had to be in his line of vision to get him to sleep and he managed to wake quite a bit more often through the night.

I requested my grandma to make my favourite coconut tarts, but I guess my mom forgot to deliver the message. So in a lucky twist of fate, my grandmother said she'd show me how to make them. They started from scratch with pastry crust. I haven't had much luck with pastry crust in the past. But with her guidance grandma showed me how she does it. And through her demonstration I now understand how the pastry should feel when working with it.

We made my great-grandmother's recipe for Coconut Tarts and my-gosh! These are so crazy delicious. Raspberry filling with coconut custard on top. My grandmother's pastry is quite flaky and it's rich in a nice way but not overbearing. It is a nice platform for all the different desserts you can bake into it. She shared with me her butter tart recipe (which was all in her head).

I also typed out so many of my other favourite childhood desserts like marble squares, brownies, peanut chews, angel pie, maid-of-honour tarts and so many more.

I'm sure as I work through them I'll be blogging about it. But it looks like in order to do that I'll have to deal with that pesky oven...

No comments: