Monday, February 10, 2014

asian chicken lettuce wraps

Where do you find yourself getting inspiration for food? I've made recipes from books, magazines, tv, movies, websites, apps, trips to the grocery store and market, trips/vacations, dining at restaurants and other peoples homes. I feel constantly inspired by so much of what I'm exposed to. This dinner of Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps was inspired by an image I quickly scrolled through on Pinterest. I didn't pin it, but reflected on how delicious it looked days later, far too behind to ever recover the recipe again. So I did a Google and found this recipe which seemed to sound like what I was after.


I tinkered with it slightly to my tastes and it turned out wonderfully! Like serious good eats here. It's the sort of dinner just about anyone with taste buds would enjoy. I'll share it and promise me you'll try it.

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
2 tsp sesame oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 pound ground chicken
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 c hoisin sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sriracha sauce (be careful if making this for kids - you can always add more to your own seving once complete, but there's no turning back if you are too generous)
1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced
Iceberg lettuce leaves, rinsed and drained

In a medium skillet on medium heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a non-stick skillet. Cook onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Add ground chicken breaking up as it cooks. Once cooked through add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sriracha sauce until well incorporated. Add water chestnuts, green onion and sesame oil, and remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with additional soy sauce, hoisin, spicy mustard sauce for dipping, roasted peanuts, fried mung bean noodles if desired. I tried it with fried rice noodles and they didn't add much to it. I also tried several with Boston lettuce leaves, but the cool, crisp iceberg lettuce leaves work much better.

No comments: