Tuesday, May 1, 2012

my sister's 30th birthday party and the unfortunate baking disaster

People always say not to try new recipes for big events. Most of the time I know better, but I’ve gotten to the point where I'm so zealous, I dive head-first into everything with self assurance. That’s why when my sister asked for cupcakes for her 30th birthday party I was only too eager to make a double batch of these Tiramisu Cupcakes for the first time for the event. Well, I guess this genoise-style cupcake got the best of me because the final step of adding a liquid-y mixture of butter, milk and vanilla to a light and airy batter of flour & whipped eggs did not combine properly (probably because of my hesitation of overworking the flour and deflate the light batter).
The first batch of cupcakes were the egg mixture and the second batch was the milky mixture. What a disaster! Panicked, and with only hours till the event, I turned to The Frosted Cupcake (local cupcake bakery) for a variety of gorgeous and delicious cupcakes. 
I love the idea of cupcake bakeries! Super cute, fun and like a variety pack of donuts, everyone gets to choose their favourite! Everyone loved these cupcakes and the birthday girl was thrilled. The selection included red velvet, rainbow bright, banana split, chocolate chip cookie, nanaimo bar, after eight, chocolate strawberry cheesecake and chocolate banana. Thank you Frosted Cupcake for saving the day!
Looks like I have a lot to learn about baking because all it takes is one misstep to screw-up an entire dessert. I wish I could take classes, but I guess the next best thing is the new series Bake with Anna Olson (on Food Network Canada). I’ve set up a series recording to try and catch the show to learn from her. My favourite part of Anna’s old show Sugar as her little tidbits of seasoned baker advice. This show is so super informative and everything she makes is extremely creative and inspiring.

3 comments:

alicia said...

happy birthday katie! <3

i have unfortunate baking disasters - they happen to the best of us! those cupcakes look like they definitely saved the day! also, katie needs to blog again!!!

<3

katie a go go said...

Thanks so much for all the time, money and effort you went to in making my birthday cupcakes. Even though they didn't turn out the way we wanted, it was still very special (and delicious!) having the cupcake shop ones.

And to Alicia - I would love to start blogging again, but I'm so bad at keeping it up. Maybe when I'm off of work in the summer I'll give it another try?

Peace Point Digital said...

Erin! You won the grand prize for the Olson Recipe Maker Contest. We left you a message at your yahoo address. Can you please contact us?

Congratulations!!