Monday, May 28, 2012

blueberry-lemon johnnycakes (pancake-style)

I woke up this past Sunday morning with the inspiration to go out for breakfast. Then the idea of washing up and packing Owen (who was feeling under the weather) to most likely be disappointed at one of this city's not-so-great diners ultimately changed my mind. But it actually turned me on to the idea of making something new and different for a breakfast here at home. 
Between corn bread, polenta and corn muffins we've become huge fans of cornmeal. I know I've gone from finding its gritty texture unpalatable, to seriously doing a 180 on the idea cooking and baking with it. A few months ago I made some delicious Blueberry-Orange Cornmeal Muffins from Everyday Food's Jan/Feb 2012 issue (I never blogged about them but they were to-die-for) and reflecting on these I decided to try making Johnnycakes. These are basically a pancake using part cornmeal. A big fat Google confirmed that my idea isn't original at all, but gave me a place to work from and come up with these seriously delicious blueberry-lemon johnnycakes (made pancake-style).
Blueberry-Lemon Johnnycakes
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour (scant)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg + 1 egg white
grated zest & juice from one lemon
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup milk
1 cup frozen blueberries, defrosted

Heat nonstick skillet over medium-low. Blend dry ingredients in large bowl. In second bowl lightly beat eggs and mix in lemon juice, zest, milk and oil. Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. Add blueberries and stir (don't overmix as blueberries run out - and if they do don't worry about it since it doesn't really show in the final pancake). Let batter stand for 5 minutes. Cook just like pancakes and serve with warm maple syrup.

This recipe makes approx 20 pancakes.

No comments: