Wednesday, January 30, 2013

oven-fried chicken

I've mentioned before about how I'm not the biggest bone-in chicken fan. But what are the chances that since having the Soy-Ginger Chicken, Owen is constantly asking for more chicken legs? So, these days I'm not so reluctant to make chicken legs when they are such a hit around here and this Oven-Fried Chicken recipe is quite good. Nothing can replace a true southern fried chicken, but we don't typically eat deep fried food so a dinner like this works really well for us.
Soaking the chicken pieces in garlic and buttermilk overnight was pretty key for this dinner. It tenderized the meat as well as added a lot of flavour, so it is a very necessary step. When it came time to make dinner it was super quick coating the meat in processed whole wheat bread crumbs. With the extra buttermilk I made a side of buttermilk mashed potatoes. While the chicken was baking I had time to use my food mill to mash the potatoes and it created the most rich and creamy mashed potatoes we have ever tasted. Just another thing I'll be doing from now on.
Real comfort food and really big with the boys. The chicken coating was crispy and surprisingly flavourful while the meat was so insanely juicy, even I had to admit we I might actually enjoy more bone-in meat.

No comments: