Thursday, November 29, 2012

lighter italian wedding soup

When I was expecting Owen I was totally addicted to Campbell's canned Italian Wedding Soup. I'm thinking it was all the added salt that was satisfying my cravings. Luckily, I have my palate back since his arrival and this Lighter Italian Wedding Soup from Everyday Food Light is nothing like the canned version.
Photobucket
Using turkey in the meatballs and escarole as the green, this tomato based soup is so, so addictive! The meatballs were some of the best I've ever had! They are cooked in the simmering soup and came out so light and flavourful. I think I'd use this same meatball recipe again in the future.
I had my hesitation with escarole because it looks like green lettuce and who would ever soak a lettuce leaf? But it's very different. More similar to cabbage it's very hardy and retains its integrity when cooked. It tastes incredible in this soup and in the end I'd say this soup has a similar flavour to cabbage rolls. Glad my first experience with cooked escarole was so positive because I'd never subsitute spinach in this soup again.

No comments: