Wednesday, September 28, 2011

french macaroons

Today marks another at home sick day with Owen. So welcome to another addition of What Do I Have Time To Bake During A Nap? This time around I decided to try making French Macaroons. They are notoriously temperamental to make and I don't have the skill, time or patience for it. So while perusing the aisles of Bulk Barn I stumbled upon a French Macaroon mix which I was all too curious to try.
You simply measure your dry mix, hydrate with water and beat the hell out of it. I added a little red food colouring so my macaroons would turn pink. I then piped them onto parchment and baked as instructed. They turned out homemade looking with cracked imperfections but they are still quite nice. I decided to use raspberry jam as filling to fulfill the pink flavour. They are sweet and chewy. I will probably try these again with the addition of cocoa and a chocolate ganache filling... yum!
Now that I know I can make French food at home, I'm taking them with me to my sister-in-law's as a treat before we meet Laura Calder. The host of the show French Food at Home is having a book signing at Springridge Farms later today and we were fortunate enough to have scored tickets to the event. Stick around and I'll be blogging all about it shortly.

No comments: