Friday, May 31, 2013

buttermilk cilantro steak with corn salad and baked potato chips

Steak on the barbeque in summer! I can’t tell you how long I’ve been wanting steak back in my life. As much as I wish this recipe for Buttermilk Cilantro Steak could have been made with skirt steak, flank is much more readily available to us. The one great thing about flank steak is we always make one steak last 2 meals. And our favourite way of using leftover steak is with this banh mi inspired steak sandwich. My goodness, it’s such a treat.

But back to the recipe at hand, the marinade was very nice and for anyone who enjoys cilantro (which we sure do), you’re bound to enjoy this marinade. A portion is set aside as a side sauce so you get to enjoy the extra flavour. As a side I used the Corn Salad portion of this recipe which made for one awesome summer side. I’ve made several variations of corn salads in the past, but this recipe is the best of any one I’ve tried. All the flavours of summer with lime, cilantro and avocado – a real winner. I know it’s cliché, but steak and potatoes go hand-in-hand and I needed a starch to round out the meal. This potato side is simply sliced potatoes with olive oil, salt & pepper and baked in the oven until crispy. Tasted just like potato chips.

No comments: