Friday, March 15, 2013

steak n' eggs mexican style

From the Winter 2013 issue of Food and Drink I decided to make the Steak n' Eggs Mexican Style. The photo in the magazine didn't really give a telling image of the completed recipe, but once I read the ingredients I could tell this was going to be delicious.
When was the last time we had steak for dinner? I know lots of people who grill steaks on the bbq throughout the year (even in the dead of winter). But we're aren't included in that lot. I prepare our winter steaks on the cast iron skillet and, believe it or not, it's just as great as the bbq... honest!
The recipe begins with a dry-rub coating on each steak. Then a rancheros sauce is prepared. At the last minute before plating you fry your eggs. So there are quite a few steps and pans, but I can assure you, this dinner is well worth it.



This dinner won rave reviews! The dry rub is definitely one we'll use again soon - simple and delicious. And I can't stop dreaming over the rancheros sauce. It was spicy and just the perfect accompaniment for the eggs. My only regret in this is serving it with a side of french fries. Next time we must try it with polenta.

No comments: