Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

This mother's day was a particularly hectic one. Our usual plans of Sunday brunch at the golf club couldn't happen this year because of my dad's surgery. He went into surgery a couple of weeks ago - it was a finishing touch on the surgery I mentioned a few months ago. Unfortunately, after he was sent home he seems to have had a bit of a complication. Friday he was in excruciating pain and hardly able to talk with me. He was rushed to emergency and has been there since. It was a very troubling and exhausting Friday night and the soonest I could get into see him was Saturday afternoon. It was great to be there when the diagnosis came in. He'll be fine once they deal with an abscess.
My mom has been going through so much with taking care of my dad along with a particularly hell-bent mother of a student she's been dealing with at work. I just don't think there is enough we can do for her. But I am doing the best I know how by being there for her and making the best meal I can to celebrate her Mother's Day.
First off was an appetizer course of crab cakes. This is a first for us and I have to give full credit to Nuno for pulling this off. He was so cute researching how to make them and even added his own idea for a garnish - avocado! It worked so well and everyone loved it!
For dinner we made a Roast Chicken (this was a local free range one and it was friggin' 10 lbs - basically a turkey of a chicken), Sweet Potato Mash and Spinach Salad.

For dessert I baked this Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake. This one is a keeper for sure!
My mom had nothing but praise about the meal and Katie compared dinner to food she's had from Niagara's top chefs at Treadwell and Wellington Court. hee hee Thanks Katie!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry about your dad Erin. I hope he's feeling better soon.

That cake looks amazing!!! We should exchange some good dessert recipes soon.

Erin said...

Leslie, thank you so much. He’s still in there right now. I hope he’s being a good patient.
Sure we can trade! You’ll love this recipe simply because it’s so easy!