Tuesday, January 5, 2010

chocolate chip banana bread

I think I may have a bit of a sugar addiction right now. I allowed myself any and all indulgences (especially Christmas baking) during the holiday season. It was great, but I kind of forgot just how crappy too much sugar can make you feel. I found myself getting cranky and moody. So I'm weaning myself off the baked goods - but not completely. This 'light' recipe is filling the void as I detox. I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I added some chocolate chips!

Lighter Banana Bread
recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
makes 12 servings
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp butter, softened
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4)
3 tbsp skim milk
3 tbsp light sour cream or vanilla yogurt
2 large egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine sugar and butter in a bowl; beat at medium speed until well blended. Add banana, milk, sour cream, egg whites and vanilla. Beat well and set aside.
3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir well. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, beating until blended.
4. Pour batter into pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire racks. For best flavour, wrap in tin foil and let sit overnight.

No comments: