Wednesday, September 2, 2009

poor, poor puppy

Bear in mind as I begin this tirade that I've been extra sensitive about animals in pregnancy, so I may come across as super judgemental and mean - but I don't care.
We have these neighbours across the street who are probably my age. They aren't the typical sort of neighbours we have living around us (super nice retirees). They seem like OK guys though it's hard to tell how many people actually live in this house with the rotating line-up of 21 year old girls. Along with the mysterious number of residents, there are two very large dogs living there. A couple years ago one dog got loose and we found him sniffing around our property. He managed to run away further down the road to have half the house residents chasing him. I'm not sure how it happened, but very soon after the two dogs were trained to just hang out casually leash-free and no longer run away. This always made me very uncomfortable since we live on a somewhat busy street. Well, I'm sure you can tell where I'm going with this. At 9pm two nights ago we heard a giant crash and a horrible scream. One of the dogs had been hit! This is very upsetting to me for so many reasons. I feel very badly for the person who hit the dog since it dashed out of nowhere. I also feel badly for the dog itself, to have such stupid owners. And, of course, it's very hard to see your pet suffer so I feel bad for my neighbours.
When the person who hit the dog asked about damages to his car one of the girls started swearing up a storm and freaking out on him. Hmm... how his this his fault
for not seeing a dog dash out in front of him in pitch black?
Well, I'm not sure if this poor dog is still alive and I'm not in any rush to walk across the street and ask. I care, I really do, but I'm not sure I can speak to these people with any level of comfort. Now I don't know which I dislike more, those pet owners who neglect their poor animals leaving them locked away for days or those pet owners with no common sense endangering the lives of their pet and others.

1 comment:

Less Lee Moore said...

This is so not judgemental or mean. I'm practically crying reading this. I've had these kinds of neighbors and it makes so so uncomfortable to be around them when they treat their animals this way.

I hope the poor thing is okay.