Sunday, November 9, 2008

Southern Tier Brewery

Saturday afternoon we decided to take a trip to a brewery. Microbreweries offer informative tours similar to wine tours only they have an all you can sample policy (not that that's the reason we took it, just sayin'). We found out about a WNY brewery from Mike who had this awesome creme brulee beer, so it piqued our interest. Once we found out the address we plugged it into the GPS and it said that it was 2 and a half hours away. That almost swayed us out of it, but thought, why not? The GPS told no word of a lie, it was a very long trip. At one point I kept driving down the road and ended up in Pennsylvania. But we arrived in time for the tour so I'll share some photos.

The tour was filled with middle aged male beer nerds. They were only too excited to ask in depth questions about yeast cultures and details on fermentation.

Probably the coolest thing about this tour was the tasting straight from the cask. This beer was not filtered or carbonated and will be ready to finish and bottle next Monday.


We decided to buy a growler of IPA (India Pale Ale) along with gifts for Mike for Christmas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you bring back some creme brulee beer for me? That sounds like my dream beer.

Erin said...

I was very dissappointed to find out that they aren't selling it anymore. I guess it's seasonal and when Mike bought it it must have been one of the last in circulation. I asked if they were going to make some next year and they didn't really know.
OH MAN! I went to the prestige location of Premier Wines in Orchard Park - you would not believe this place. I couldn't buy anything because I didn't know where to start. I bet they had thousands of types of wine.
Also, I recorded Off Beat Cinema last night and I think you will LOVE this movie - it's called the Day the World Ended. It's awesome!