Wednesday, April 20, 2011

sick of being sick

I always thought that what we eat directly affects our health & well being. But I guess we all know there are factors way bigger than that that truly come into play.

If you keep up with my blog I've mentioned a couple times recently about being sick and I have to admit, Owen's been more sick than well since entering daycare. Those people with kids who've been through the daycare years nod with a knowing smile and all is well. But those people who have never had the experience of having to put their children in daycare are all too quick to offer advice and pass some pretty hefty judgement. 

2011 has been like a 4 month long trip to Six Flags where each and every virus sends us on a new and different roller coaster ride where we are helplessly strapped in and must endure. That's OK, because what can you do? People get sick, that's life. But recently I've had a barrage of comments and assumptions about my parenting that, honestly for once, I feel like I actually care what others think because it couldn't be further from the truth.

Some people wonder if we eat healthy - haha! I almost want to walk around with this blog link splashed across my chest so that they have a real glimpse into that assumption. I've heard that we aren't bundling him warm enough for the 10 seconds he's outside from the doorstep to the car. Oh, there are many more which are beyond ridiculous that make me chuckle. But I'm at the point now that I'm not sure I can laugh about it. I can't help but be offended because I spent the first year of Owen's life nursing him with the knowledge that breastfeeding helps build your baby's immune. And I'm frustrated that with all my devotion and heart to all the proven details, I have a kid who seems to not only catch every bug, but really goes down for the count once he's infected. It's really hard to see your child in pain and suffering.

But at the heart of the matter is that I'm almost starting to feel really guilty about having Owen in daycare. And I guess this is just a 'welcome to the working mom's dilema'. To maintain my career and status in the workplace I must continue to work. I actually LOVE working. I get a lot of personal satisfaction out of my career that falls just short of being a mom. Which is a blessing, I know. I feel that being a mom, wife and artist simultaneously make me a pretty well rounded person. And I'm also lucky that I don't have a question in my mind that as I drop Owen off at daycare daily that he's getting the best possible daycare. But all those aforementioned rationale are quite selfish really. Does putting Owen first mean he should be home with me?

This living in a petri dish is a real bummer. Having to hear all the wonderful 'advice' from those around us as to why Owen's sick - well, when your baby is sick and you're sick, it's pretty taxing. Sigh. Luckily I have a blog to vent my frustration.

2 comments:

katie a go go said...

I hear you. Having my first year teaching and getting every bug that comes into the classroom and with 17 children, they bring in A LOT!! I've also tried changing my diet, exercise, getting more sleep and trying to find better ways to relieve stress, but it doesn't matter. I still keep getting sick and seeing every kid in the class get sick as well. I think this year has just been a bad one for sickness. Luckily, I don't have people judging.

Try not to let other's opinions get to you. You know that you're doing an amazing job at being a working mom and I know you are too! Let's hope that once this weather finally changes, the bugs will go away and you guys will have a sick-free summer! :)

Erin said...

Thanks for the support. All these bugs are the nature of dealing with small kids.
And people offering advice, as slightly rude as it comes across, is essentially coming from a place of good intention... I hope :)